These cookies are the prettiest cookies to give and a favourite to eat! Experiment with cutting different shapes for the top (letters, flowers, circles, snowflakes – any smallish cookie cutter works). I like keeping the little cutouts and baking them up as they are – but, you can also incorporate them back in to the dough.
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 5 cups White Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam, strained
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well until a dough forms.
- Store the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out 25 – 30 rounds using a round cookie cutter. Cut smaller shapes out of the center of half of the rounds. Place them all on a parchement lined baking tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat jam in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced and thickened, about 6 minutes, leave to cool.
- When the cookies are done, remove the tray from oven and allow to cool.
- To assemble, sandwich the whole rounds and the cut-out rounds together with prepared jam.
- Once the jam is set, dust with icing sugar.